There are several types of corporations to choose from. The choice depends on your goals, structure, and your industry requirements.
- A corporation is a separate entity from the shareholders (owners).
- It is formed by filing the Articles of Incorporation with the Secretary of State.
- Shareholders are not personally liable for the debts of the corporation.
- Their liability is limited to the amount invested or rather the amount of their shares.
- Shareholders appoint the Board of Directors.
- The Board of Directors hire C-suite executives to run the day-to-day operations of the corporation.
- In a corporation with a small number of shareholders, they fullfill all of the roles.
Closely Held Corporation
- A corporation can also be known as a “closely held corporation.”
- There a limited number of shareholders (in California it is limited to only 35 shareholders) in a closely held corporation.
S-Corporation or Subchapter S Corporation
- An S-Corporation is a corporation that is designated a
“Small Business Corporation” by the Internal Revenue Service.
- “Pass Through” taxation or the shareholders (as opposed to the corporation) are taxed on the profits and losses of the business.
- Can only have one hundred (100) shareholders
- Must be U.S. Citizens or Resident Aliens to be a shareholder.
- A professional corporation (PC) is owned by shareholders who are members of a profession (e.g., doctors, lawyers, or accountants).
- A PC is only allowed to have one type of share.
Non-Profit Corporation (501(c)(3))
- A non-profit corporation is designated “non-profit” by the Internal Revenue Service.
- Must meet stringent IRS reporting requirements
NOTICE: The information on this website does not constitute legal advice and you should not rely on any information without seeking the advice of a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. This web site is both a communication and/or solicitation as defined by California Rules of Professional Conduct, rule 1-400. For further information, please click here.
Transferable Limited Liability Protection Difficult to Start and Maintain Possible Investors
Business Planning Articles
10 Secrets to Getting More Out of Your Business
Are you struggling to get more out of your business? Maybe you’re not making enough money, or you’re not being able to get the results
10 Ways to Keep Competition at Bay and Win at Whatever You Do
In this video, I will share with you ten ways to keep competition at bay and win at whatever you do. From learning how to
5 Tips to Get Unstuck and Build a Successful Business
In this video, we’re going to offer you 5 tips to help you get out of a rut and build a successful business. If you’re
5 Ways to Increase Your Business Branding
I will show you five ways to increase your business branding in this video. These tips will help you build a strong reputation and create
10 Tips for Business Owners: From Planning to Marketing
In this video, we’ll be teaching you ten tips for business owners. From planning to marketing, these tips will help you grow your business. Starting
How to Make More Money with Your Business
I will show you how to make more money with your business in this video. Then, I’ll share some tips and tricks to help you